Wednesday, April 6, 2011

NCECA MADNESS!

I had an amazing experience at NCECA as well as the NCECA exhibits in St. Pete. Though the weather was dreary, Kylyn and I paraded around (we even bought ponchos!) And absorbed as much as we could. Unfortunately, we both forgot our notepads so we scribbled notes on the back of art school brochures.
There was just so much inspiration, as well as competition!
When I look at the work of graduate students, I am awe struck. Will I ever be able to focus on one theme? Will I be able to manipulate my ideas?

Everything is all up in the air. My favorite lecture was about slip casting from rebecca Hutchinson, who described her process of weaving large ceiling installations and dipping them in slip. She fired some massive pieces and hung them from ceilings in galleries, but some pieces were left unfired. Really beautiful work



We were also inspired by Richard Notkin's show at the Holocaust Museum. He is so meticulous and his pieces are so intricate, all with social/political messages relating to war/destruction.





ref to pablo picasso and pieta^^^

Anyways, some other faves from the week


























No comments:

Post a Comment